This is a formulation for a rich hand cream, which is perfect for protecting the hands during the winter time. It contains coconut oil and shea butter to nourish the skin, lavender hydrosol and sodium lactate to keep the hands moisturized and beeswax to form a protective layer on the skin. Essential oils of lavender and bergamot will have a soothing and energizing effect on the skin.
- Orange and Ylang Ylang – Facial Moisturizer For Dry Skin
- [Protective Winter Time] Hand Cream – Recipe and Instructions
- Step-By-Step Instructions For Making an Emulsion
- [Formula and Ingredients] Soothing and Moisturizing Facial Mist
- Three Rejuvenating Facial Serums You Need To Know
- [Formula and Recipe] Lemongrass – Shower Scrub Bar
- Grapefruit and Orange – Stretch Mark Body Butter Recipe
- Nourishing Whipped Shea Body Butter
Directions For Use
Apply to clean hands whenever they feel dry.
Potential Substitute Ingredients
You could use a different hydrosol (or replace it with extra purified water). Sodium lactate could be replaced with glycerin (another humectant). You could substitute another carrier oil of your choice for the coconut oil, and use different essential oils. If you want to use a different emulsifier then you’d need to experiment to find the right amount to use.
Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Storing creams and lotions in airless pump dispensers minimizes the risk of contamination. Apply with clean hands.
Approximate shelf-life: six months.
Creams can have a much longer shelf-life but you will need to have microbiological and stability testing carried out to determine the shelf-life.
|A||Purified water (eg deionized or distilled)||Aqua||Solvent||52.4|
|A||Lavender hydroso||Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Water||Solvent, active ingredient||10.0|
|A||Sodium lactate||Sodium Lactate||Humectant||2.0|
|B||Xanthan gum||Xanthan Gum||Thickener||0.5|
|B||Coconut oil||Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil||Emollient||17.0|
|B||Shea butter||Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter||Emollient||6.0|
|B||Beeswax||Cera Alba||Thickener, occlusive||2.0|
|B||Xyliance||Cetearyl Wheat Straw Glycosides (and) Cetearyl Alcohol||Emulsifier||6.0|
|B||Cetyl alcohol||Cetyl Alcohol||Thickener, stabilizer||2.0|
|C||Preservative Eco||Benzyl Alcohol, Salicylic Acid, Glycerin, Sorbic Acid||Preservative||1.0|
|C||Lavender essential oil||Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Oil||Fragrance, active ingredient||0.5|
|C||Bergamot essential oil (FCF)||Citrus Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil||Fragrance, active ingredient||0.5|
|Ingredient||Weight in grams (for a 100g batch)||Weight in ounces (oz) for a 4 oz batch|
|Purified water (eg deionized or distilled)||52.4||2.096|
|Lavender essential oil||0.5||0.02 (approx 15 drops)|
|Bergamot essential oil (FCF)||0.5||0.02 (approx 15 drops|
|Vitamin E||0.1||0.004 (approx 3 drops)|
- Weigh all the ingredients of phase A in a container.
- Weigh phase B ingredients in a separate container.
- Heat both phases in a water bath to 70°C (158°F) and keep this temperature for 20 minutes. To account for water evaporation during heating, weigh the container with phase A ingredients before heating and take a note of the weight. After the time has passed, weigh the container again to see how much water evaporated. Add the appropriate amount of distilled/deionized water to compensate for any water lost during heating.
- Mix the phases together and emulsify using a stick blender.
- Cool the emulsion in a cold water bath, stir during cooling down.
- When the temperature reaches 40°C (104°F) add phase C ingredients, mix thoroughly.
- Package into your container of choice.