Soldier, statesman, writer and explorer, Theodore Roosevelt became the 26th president of the United States. His enormous energy and zest for life made him one of America’s moat flamboyant leaders.
Roosevelt served as assistant secretary of the Navy before resigning in 1898 to fight in Cuba. Returning as something of a war hero, he easily was elected governor of New York. He then served as vice president of the United States and took office after President William McKinley’s assassination in 1901.
Roosevelt greatly expanded the powers of the presidency and of the federal government on the side of public interest in conflicts between big business and big labor. He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1906 for mediating the end of the Russo Japanese War and promoted the construction of the Panama Canal. A devout naturalist, Roosevelt was responsible for setting aside thousands of acres of land to preserve what are today our national parks and forests.
Roosevelt’s father was a prominent leader in New York’s cultural affairs; he helped to found the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and had been especially active in mobilizing support for the Union during the Civil War, even though his in-laws included Confederate leaders.
- No man is above the law and no man below it.
- Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far.
- Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
- Obedience of the law is demanded, not asked as a favor.
- The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and
self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it.
- In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.
- Don’t spread patriotism too thin.
- Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time.
- Get action. Seize the moment. Man was never intended to become an oyster.
- I think there is only one quality worse than hardness of heart and that is softness of head.
Join our Twitter channel (@hymeblogs) for the latest news and updates.